PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Blue screen of death
View Single Post
Old 31st Jul 2019, 23:54
jimjim1

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
If it's a one off, don't worry about it.

Note that any of the below steps could stop the computer from working. you need good backups of critical files. Saying that, I would do these steps on my computer but I don't really have super critical stuff on it.

If it is recurring -
Consider undoing any recent changes to the computer that may have made it occur.

check operating system integrity with

chkdsk /r
sfc /scannow
If sfc reports that it can not fix it use
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
and repeat sfc /scannow -

If that dism command reports that it can't fix it it is more complex than I can deal with.

Sometimes you need to repeat the sfc /scannow - I think it tells you that it is not finished.

Check the windows logs with Event Viewer for messages that indicate a serious problem shortly before the crash.

Windows Logs/Application
Windows Logs/System

Enable minidump and use a dump analyser to see if the crash is being consistently caused by a particular file. If that file is associated with some particular software consider re-installing it. Everyone should enable minidumps anyway - else on a crash the system will write the whole active virtual memory to a file which takes a LONG time. I would get fed up and turn the machine off which MAY compound the problem.

Finally - I am not recommending the installation of any software off of the Internet - you need to research such software yourself and evaluate the risk.

[B} below has some good stuff

You can also start by that:[list]