PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Paying Back Pilot Loan
View Single Post
Old 31st Jul 2019, 17:15
Ronaldsway Radar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whilst I agree with you there RS, I would add that I feel your figures are a little on the low side.

From personal experience training modular, my total expenditure will come in at £70k. That's for: PPL, night rating, hours building, ATPL course (distance), CPL, MEP, IR, travel, accommodation, all test fees, medicals and equipment. That is however excluding: food/lifestyle costs during training, MCC, JOC and the cost of any type rating bond payment should I be required to pay one. Hopefully not. Whilst I could most likely have cut between 3-5k from that total with some better planning, if you're taking ATPL ground school full time at an ATO that will bring it back up to roughly the same amount, or a little bit over. If you go over minimum hours, also expect to pay more - significantly so if you go over on CPL/IR or have to retake.

A personal unsecured loan from my bank for £25k, taken when the rates were at the lowest they had been for years, is £330 a month for 7 years.

Having almost reached the end of the modular route, would I recommend it to those who can't afford to worry about integrated costs and re-mortgaging houses? Yes absolutely. It's a great way of training which puts the control, timing, and the maturity to manage your own budget, in your hands. You learn a lot when you haven't got somebody spoon-feeding you. I would however caution those that can't budget well. This route will bite you if you don't do your planning and calculations meticulously.