PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CYFB and CYYQ wingspan limited?
View Single Post
Old 31st Jul 2019, 14:30
Humidifier

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CYFB and CYYQ wingspan limited?

Flying over northern Canada the other day, we had a bit of a discussion in the flightdeck about the usability of CYYQ (Churchill) and CYFB (Iqaluit aka Frobisher Bay) as diversion alternates. Both seem to have a published limitation on the maximum wing span on the main landing runway. Take CYFB. The electronic version of the jeppesen airway manual airport directory states a wingspan limit of max 51 m, which would make it unsuitable for our 60 m wide B787. However, my non-updated paper version Jepp AD doesn’t have that limit. Our own OM-C lists it as a usable alternate. I checked some other (old) OM-C’s. Quatar approves it for their 777, and Emirates is even happy to put an A380 there. To top that off, British A landed a 787-9 on 12 sept last year at Iqualuit. Generally speaking, i find it very unusual to have a wingspan limit on a long enough instrument landing runway with standard width. Beyond the obvious “in a dire emergency i will put it down anyhere”, i feel that i am missing something here. Anybody any thoughts?