PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Freighter S/O
Thread: Freighter S/O
View Single Post
Old 30th Jul 2019, 03:05
Sam Ting Wong

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cxorcist
CX had 100 aircraft in 2007. 12 years later it has 134. That’s a growth rate of less than 3% per annum. So let’s not pretend there is or will ever be substantial growth at CX. Arguments to the contrary based on orders simply lack historical context.

I never claimed there would be. You claimed we are facing a shrinking fleet and that is simply false.

SOPS,

no idea. Maybe, maybe not, I was referring to the comments of our chairman until 2024. Beyond that I don't know. We had a similar discussion after the acquisition of Dragon, remember? The idea is to grow in all segments, if that is feasible or not time will tell. Premium/connecting traffic can't be easilyreplaced by HKE. And Quantas is doing quite well, don't they? LCC is of course a threat, but does it matter if that business is owned by cathay or somebody else? I don't think so. LCC are affecting all, except Cargo. So I don't see it as a particular or exclusive threat for Cathay, but in general? Sure.

Cxorcist,

I also never said becoming a pilot in 2019 is a great idea. I most certainly don't think it is. Yes, totally, by all means go to university instead and become a doctor or lawyer. But that is not really what this discussion is about, or is it? We can't make these choices nor should we pretend these options are on the table in the first place. They might for a selected few, the top 1-2% of their class, but for the rest it is the choice between lower hanging fruits..

Last edited by Sam Ting Wong; 30th Jul 2019 at 04:26.