PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ANS v NATS
Thread: ANS v NATS
View Single Post
Old 29th Jul 2019, 02:45
chevvron

Received 95 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by Flying184
This is because the training styles and learning employed in the ATC world are still stuck in the 1950's.... I mean rote learning lists from MATS1 at the college?! And then at unit being plugged in and training OTJ regardless of what comes along on the frequency. Bonkers. I liken it to being a brand new learner driver, and on your first lesson being told we are going to drive on the motorway, do clutch control, mirrors, indicating, roundabouts etc etc but don't worry i'll help you along the way. The effect is sensory overload, workload saturation, stress etc which do not result in learning or skill development. People make the grade because they are, in many cases, dragged across the line and those who are chopped are often because they have fallen victim to training methods not fit for purpose in such a modern industry.

A more modern, structured, approach to learning is much needed with better use of technology available to make the whole OJT learning process more effective, developmental and incremental.

Kudos to you though for sticking with it and having a great career
Our UTP required the mentor to take over when traffic got to certain levels, depending on how much training the U/T had carried out. I assume this is 'standard' for UTP at all NATS units.