PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Edinburgh-3
Thread: Edinburgh-3
View Single Post
Old 28th Jul 2019, 09:35
Bagheera

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 737aviator
My point was it should be mandatory to route via M then right on L when inbound to this stand until the design issues are resolved. Based operators have this as mandatory routing in their own briefing packs to crews and most controllers appear familiar with the issues (by the fact they give the choice of routes) but still dangle the carrot. Giving a crew unfamiliar with the airport the choice will mean of course they take L if after landing on RWY24 as it looks the most logical way when glancing at a chart. Just get an ops vehicle round to marshal if for some reason entry via L is required.
and my point is that there are issues with this stand whether approaching it from the North or South, hence why there are oversteer markings from both directions. From the North, not following the oversteer markings risks the main gear departing the paved surface, from the South not following the markings risks wingtip clearance against traffic parked on stand 15A.

Not ALL based operators mandate approaching the stand from the South. Some crew of operators that supposedly do mandate it will accept an approach from the North rather than take a delay waiting for outbound aircraft routing via Mike. Some crews will accept it in daylight, dry conditions but not when it’s wet or it’s dark. For these reasons ATC will not mandate a routing via Mike. Instead when an aircraft is due in to 15B, ATC will, subject to traffic, try and keep Lima And Mike clear in order to afford the aircrew some flexibility in their routing and then offer that to the crew.

I am concerned that this flexibility is being interpreted as some sort of complicity or liability in any subsequent incident. If you truly believe this then I suggest you raise it In the appropriate manner where it will be properly considered.