PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 27th Jul 2019, 00:11
cyflyer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Could the forced landing have been at Bedworth, about 4 1/2 miles Northwest of RAF Ansty (ie 9EFTS)?
I do believe you may be correct, makes sense, thanks. Even though, they seem to have spelled it as Badworth.

Chugalug2 I'll accept your explanation, its logical. The fact that they wrote Airmens Rest Camp with capitals makes it look like a 'unit'.
As to the CM for Low Flying, was that when he was collecting Giant Mushrooms?
He joined 9EFTS on 15/7/41 and the newspaper clip was published 31/8/41 just 6 weeks later. So the mushroom picking must have happened during those 6 weeks. The court marshal happened on 28/1/42 and the demotion happened on 14/7/42, 6 months later. I thought RAF action was probably swifter than that. The charge would probably been 'unauthorised landing' rather than 'low flying', and would the powers that be, have permitted the newspaper clip if they were going to court marshal him for it ? I found the CM on a summary listing of day to day CM's but I need to find the actual charge sheet for the offence, unless anyone knows what is RAF offence code 39A2B 40.

I'll correct something I said earlier, about the pilots recieving their wings after 6 weeks/after EFTS, thats wrong. I believe it must be after graduating from SFTS that the RAF wings were awarded, and before going to the OTU's. Something that raises questions in the timeline of events. If joining EFTS on 15/7/41, and photographed 6 weeks later (newspaper/mushroom clip on 31/8/41 irrefutable evidence) already wearing his wings, and being at the EFTS more than a year later, what does that suggest ?
longer ron, my train of thought was also swirling around the notion that he may have had previous flying experience, and hence after initial EFTS, be awarded wings and retained to train other EFTS ab-initio students for the next year. That would explain many things.
Mechanical Sciences at Trinity College, Cambridge(1938; joined University Air Squadron).
how did you get this connection to him ? Googling 'Cambridge University Air Sqn' doesn't seem to bring up that connection. Any connection there would help explain a few things. His family did mention to me that they 'believed' he was at Cambridge before the war, but I thought they were mistaken because was at 2 Initial Training Wing, which happens to have been at Cambridge.