PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Worldwide pilot experience too low?
View Single Post
Old 25th Jul 2019, 00:20
Loose rivets
Psychophysiological entity

Location: Tweet Rob_Benham Famous author. Well, slightly famous.
Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts
Fear. Have we had a post about fear?

I based the opening chapter of my novel on an experience I had as a Viscount FO. I did not know it was possible to experience that much fear, especially for nearly two hours. No weather radar and FL170 or 180 most of the early IT's to Spain. Lots of learning to be had, and mostly okay, but just one night for me was beyond belief. Horizon bar off the scenes time and again, and below MSL over the mountains, then to be thrown out the tops to the stars only to fall back into the maelstrom. 45mins on one 20 min leg. Blood and sick down the cabin ceiling where the poor souls had unstrapped to kneel and pray.

The return flight turned out to have a very funny end, despite a 4" hole through the wing. The skipper had just struck his Zippo when the bang happened. His face, lit by the little flame, was a picture I'll never forget.

I had to give myself a serious talking to to carry on. All that work, can't give that up now! Had to master the fear and channel it into concentration when things got tacky. Really, it's not fair expecting these 'Children' to be put in the position of a captain incapacitation without some awareness of what it might be like to get a real thrashing one 'dark and stormy'. They need at least an awareness.