PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Southend-2
Thread: Southend-2
View Single Post
Old 24th Jul 2019, 23:16
Tagron

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by brian_dromey
Thats interesting, I thought the 738 is, as a rule, a poorer performer than the A319/320, is this the benefit of the SFP on FRs newer 737s? Apparently the 320neo is, more or less, unrestricted out of SEN, unlike the A319s - easyJets examples are derated, I understand? Interestingly most of the A319 sales in recent years have been to Chinese airlines operating into high airfields in the Himalayas - a different species of A319 to ehe easyJet examples.
Brian Dromey

You are correct to point out tthat the 738SFP was a game changer for 738 operations at SEN. The non-SFP 738 offered a reasonable radius of operation based on take off performance but the real killer in terms of regular commercial operation was the landing distance requirement, which meant that the inbound load would have to be restricted for all operations whatever the sector distance. There is no means of carrying out a proper comparison using data available in the public arena but my own best guess using available sources is that 738SFP is broadly similar to the A320 in the context of SEN operations. This view is supported by FR's choice of initial SE routes.

You are also correct to point out that the EZY A319 is derated which means that it is more likely to be restricted by adverse conditions than the A320. The EZY aircraft is the A319-111 subtype with 22k lb thrust engines . Other airlines at SEN this summer use the A319-112 with 23.5k engines which offer improved field performance, Air Malta, FlyOne and Volotea. The new FlyOne Chisinau service is the longest sector scheduled for SEN this summer. I would not expect it to suffer any payload penalties, assisted as it is by the late evening departure time.