PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ozzies can’t fly when it’s windy?
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jul 2019, 04:32
Slezy9

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Lookleft
The problem is that cross wind landings are considered to be a risky maneuver by airline management and therefore have to have limits imposed on them. The 30kt crosswind exercise in the sim does not have the same feel as a gusty northerly on 27 in the middle of summer. Too many F/O's that I fly with treat it as a fly by numbers exercise by applying X amount of rudder with Y amount of aileron rather than look out the window and modify their control inputs to keep it tracking along the centreline. .
So what's the solution? If these FOs are not allowed to ever land the aircraft above some arbitrary x-wind limit then how are they ever supposed to get better? The first time they get to land the aircraft at the limit will be when they are in the left seat, not ideal!! With more and more cadets / low hour guys and gals ending up in the right seat there has to be some give! (yes I agree the Sim doesn't adequately represent a gusty x-wind)

Thankfully my airline has no limits for FOs (for x-wind) other than the manufacturers limit.