PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mega Merged: REX Recruitment/Cadetship and Working for REX
Old 21st Jul 2019, 04:08
The_next_chapter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seeking some helpful advice. I am 42 years old. Had a passion to fly forever, but it was cost prohibative. Had a a turning point this year and now want to pursue airline flying career. I plan to go through the REX program. I have some questions:

1) How likely is it that I can get my base of choice (this is a must to enable my partner to support us financially since my income will be terribly low (I am going from $200k + PA to what I understand will be $70k PA as an FO?
2) Is it likely that I will go into the SAAB and REX and not another REX business?
3) If I decided to apply to QantasLink Direct Entry FO as soon as I accumulate the hours (700 total and 250 as FO) in order to increase renumeration (assuming) this will take two years or so at REX - what would my chances be like?
4) Am I at risk of discrimination with other airlines (say if the QF LINK does not work out) and I consider other global opportunities (subject to my hours meeting requirements) because of my age? I would be mid 40's by then - still with nearly 20 years of possibly flying (I can't see that as a negative to carriers).

Appreciate that if I bail out of REX under 7 years I will need to pay all the $105k + interenst in one hit (i'd be able to do that). I just could not see a quality of life on $70k with my responsiblities etc., for min 7 years. And I could not accept the cadetship if I was to be shipped to a regional town or other city - it would need to be my current home town.