PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Instructor role/pay while student is solo?!
Old 19th Jul 2019, 20:21
BigEndBob

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by double_barrel
Hi All,

Possibly a strange question! But when a student is flying solo, I assume that the instructor is nominally responsible? I'm guessing that mostly involves drinking coffee and listening to the radio? Is the instructor typically paid the same for the lesson whether or not he is in the aircraft? I'm thinking particularly about 3 hour cross countries when the instructor could not hear the student on the radio for much of the time and could not contribute much in the event of a problem. And I'm wondering if I express a preference to go and practice some stuff solo, am I doing my poverty-stricken instructor out of some of his fee? It certainly costs me the same!

Thanks
In the UK the instructor gets paid, why not, who takes responsibility when that student infringes airspace and someone has to do the paper work. There was a case years ago of a student insisting he go solo when the instructor said no.
The student was sent and killed himself. The parents of the student sued the instructor. I would want to be paid for that responsibility.