PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air New Zealand Recruitment - Latest
View Single Post
Old 15th Jul 2019, 22:57
RHSandLovingIt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Regarding the Turboprop interview. I came off 2 years of being out of commercial aviation, but was in the process of doing an IR renewal. They put me in a 787 sim, gave me some thrust/pitch settings and off we went. The sim profile isn't exactly a secret. Personally, most of the guys and girls I know, all went down to "Fly-a-jet" or similar to get some familiarity with glass cockpits and jet handling prior to their interview. I had a lot of time in G1000's etc, so the glass cockpit thing wasn't really a concern for me... except the skypointer which always seemed to mess with my head ... it was more the handling that I wanted to experience. Not exactly cheap, but I considered it part of the interview prep.

And yes, they asked questions... and yes, at one point I told them to standby as I was busy flying the aircraft onto a radial (and had already blown through an altitude and a heading earlier because I was busy trying to be clever and answering questions! ) and as ElZilcho mentioned previously, they immediately left me to fly the aircraft. Once the radial was intercepted and we were S+L, they started the questions again. Several questions later they asked "Were you asked any other questions that you haven't answered yet?"... so I answered the "standby" question.

Personally, the thing I found most annoying was when I asked the PM to time the 1 minute outbound in the hold for me... "forever" later I asked "how are we going on that 1 minute?"... "oh, yeah... 1min 10 secs"

Honestly, I thought my sim was a bit below par... and then the feedback I got was that overall my sim went really well... and I had "shown improvement"