PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK CAA bites the bullet on pilots pure flying skills
Old 14th Jul 2019, 23:59
Manwell

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to Fly

Having read the comments so far, there are many that proscribe an emphasis on stick and rudder skills, even aerobatics, as a cure for accidents. Hear, Hear.

While I happily applaud those sentiments, may I be bold enough to suggest that the cause of all accidents is related to basic training?

In brief, here are the fatal flaws in basic training, whether it's military or civilian training, with aerobatics or without.

First, there is too much emphasis on instruments, and not enough attention is paid to power, attitude, and all our other senses. Yes, I know the arguments against use of the senses. It's true only to a point, but not the whole truth.
Second, using Mazlow's Hierarchy of Needs as a guide, the FIRST need a student pilot must satisfy before being able to progress further up the pyramid toward self-actualization, is security. That means he has to learn how to control the aircraft confidently, to make it do what he wants it to do, and prevent it from doing what it would like. That takes care of security.
Third, the application of an understanding of our basic needs, and an application of the principles and methods of instruction, demand the following-
Tuition and repetitive practice of the basics of control - Power, Pitch, Roll, & Yaw until each skill is over-learned. In other words, it's learned to the point that it becomes instinctive by developing muscle memory of the skill, and becoming familiar with all the other sensory indications of correct technique. Sounds, control pressures, G pressures felt through the seat of the pants, postural pressures, even smells are important. No reference is to be made of the instruments at this stage.
Fourth, the skills learned in power, pitch, roll, and yaw control are then applied to learn how to fly at stall speed and below in full control. The effect of flap and trim are introduced when appropriate.
Fifth, all those skills are applied to fly circuit patterns in the air, away from other traffic, and at enough altitude to avoid turbulence.
This is only a brief description of a training method that would vastly improve basic pilot skills, preventing unintentional stalls or spins. Aeros are a good idea, so pilots can handle the aircraft in any attitude, but this will prevent pilots to allow the aircraft from ever unintentionally departing controlled flight.

QANTAS were one of the very few airlines to include aeros in their syllabus, along with Honda Airways who trained cadets for JAL, ANA, etc. All the world's military pilots learn aeros, and I can tell you from personal knowledge most still don't know how to fly in the stall, or how to fly power + attitude confidently. The reason is simple, they've spent too much time looking at instruments, and learning advanced skills and theories, before properly laying the basic foundations.

Having said that, I have little confidence in current QANTAS management to hold true to moral principles. Rod Eddington started the rot by merging Australian with QANTAS to fatten it for sale, then Joyce has followed behind to finish the job.