PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Solar arrray - Electro magnetic radiation, effect on ILS
Old 13th Jul 2019, 23:26
hans brinker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by richardgb
Hope this is the right forum so apologies in advance if not

A major national transport company has applied for planning permission to build a distribution hub consisting of seven large buildings occupying 288,000 m2 on land occupying ~455,000 m2. On top of the buildings will be an an array of 50,000 sq ft of solar PV panels.

I understand that the inverters used to convert solar energy to AC current will radiate radio frequency electromagnetic radiation, and the buildings are likely to modulate any radiation. According to one US study I've come across it indicates such PV arrays may affect an airport ILS miles away. In the US I understand it's referred to as "Instrument Landing System (ILS) Hazardously Misleading Information (HMI)"

The threshold of Manchester's runway 05 right is only 8 miles from this proposed development, the extended centre line of the runway approach path is only 6 miles away and the cone of the 35 degrees ILS beam only about 3.5 miles away.

Does anyone know whether there are any UK publications or any requirement to involve either Manchester Airport or perhaps NATS in discussions about this sort of thing?

Usual TIA
Solar energy in Manchester? I think you would get a lot more return from harvesting the kinetic energy of rain drops.