PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 13th Jul 2019, 18:28
Chugalug2

Received 221 Likes on 69 Posts
cflyer, I think it is for us, well me at least, to thank you for giving this very special thread such a boost. In doing so I suggest that you have opened up another possible topic that perhaps needs more attention, the coming to this country of volunteer aircrew from all over the world. No doubt they came with varying motives, but underneath all the bravado was a common belief that the tyranny that threatened not only Europe but the whole world had to be defeated. Whatever defines a World War as against any others might be open to debate, but this one factor says it all for me. They came here from every continent (well, OK, perhaps not Antarctica) often never to return. Without them we would have been the weaker, in a conflict that was always a close run thing.

Your list of crew members reminds me that the bomber crews were formed up at OTU. They chose each other without any official input. They were ushered into a hangar and told to organise themselves into crews. This crew would have done just that at 21 OTU, RAF Moreton-in-Marsh. Wikki tells us that two of the instructors there were one "Stinker" Richard Murdoch and Kenneth Horne. The BBC show Much Binding in the Marsh supposedly owes its name to that RAF station :-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAF_Moreton-in-Marsh