PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AW139 Crash in Bahamas - 7 Killed
View Single Post
Old 13th Jul 2019, 13:05
Hot and Hi

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by [email protected]
Hot and Hi - I think the point you are missing is that there is a transition from VMC to IMC on a night overwater departure that you have to be mentally prepared for - you go from the comfort of your landing light illumination into pitch black and if you haven't already been including your instruments in your hover scan, you can easily be slow to fully establish your IFR comfort zone.

It is the sort of scenario that needs training and practice. I'm sure TC will attest to how easy it is to get disorientated flying off the back of a ship at night - you are dealing with a change of scan and all the somatogravic illusions of acceleration which you don't normally get on an IFR departure because you establish yourself above VminI before going IMC.
This is indeed exactly the point I am making.

Originally Posted by Hot and Hi
The only problem with IMC is if you don’t realize you are in IMC, and continue flying by the seat of your pants.
Nobody says it is easy, or it didn't require recurring training. But for Christ' sake, this is what any commercial pilot should be able to do, let alone the top notch people that this billionaire, or a Lord Ballyedmond (G-LBAL) desired to employ.

Simple rules apply:

- Be mentally prepared for the back hole departure.
- Treat any night departure as an IMC departure.
- Don't use landing lights on departure.
- Fly on instruments before you lose visual clues.

It is not that difficult. The excuses presented are not permissible.