PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 13th Jul 2019, 00:09
cyflyer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
His Service number has also changed on commissioning...
Thanks, I wondered why two different service numbers.
Thank you to everyone who contributed , all very helpful, and I am still processing the information. I recently also got the service record of another Greek heritage Bomb Aimer who was KIA with Bomber Command, but this young man was a Canadian national and with the RCAAF. The RAF service record I posted earlier was basically 4 A3 pages with the limited information you saw, and costs 30 pounds a pop. The service record from the RCAAF, was about 200 pages, every detail from previous employment to medical records, to service records, even a recruitment photograph of the recruit, and it is a free download, no cost. Unbelievable the difference between the RAF and RCAAF service records.
I bought a book called 'Training for Triumph- A History of RAF Aircrew Training in WW2' which gives a wonderful insight of the said subject. I scanned the entire book onto my onedrive, and by way of thanks, if anyone would like to read that book, PM me and I will give the link which you can access and download the book to your pc. I don't want to put it on a public forum.
Regarding the other members of the crew:

Lt Kaj Hoyer (danish) SAAF - Navigator
F/O Edward Martin - Bomb Aimer
F/O Earnest Shepherd - wireless operator
Sgt James Alfred Knight - gunner

Would like to make contact with any family of those men. They may have a photo of the crew that is better quality than the one I have.
Not sure why he was an apparent celebrity, maybe because he was the only Cypriot origin Bomber Command pilot, apart from the newspaper clip, when he started on ops, apparently the BBC made a sound recording of him speaking in Greek, about his experience on ops, and it was broadcast and heard in his village in Cyprus at the time. Would those broadcasts be preserved, and where would one search for such a recording ?

Last edited by cyflyer; 13th Jul 2019 at 00:31.