PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A340 Rotation Problems
View Single Post
Old 12th Jul 2019, 18:52
pax2908

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For sure, the BEA report issued in July needs to be read more than once (which I have not done yet).
On page 46 they plot AF and LH pitch rate, always slower than assumed by Airbus. They do not explicitely show, in this particular plot, where the incident event is sitting.
Since this is really performance-limited takeoff, one would hope (expect) a table when all uncertainties would have their contribution estimated (for example: CG position ?)
I was not yet able to see in the report where exactly they put the exact data from the incident flight (pitch control) into the model, and they confirm the agreement betw performance model and actual performance?
The Report also mentions a software tailstrike preventer, introduced in 2008, (common to which other a/c type??) taking inputs from the pitch angle and from the radio altimeter (...) but not mentioned in the Flight Manual excellent !
The Report seems to conclude that pitch rate at rotation is main factor, but this was not known (not told) to pilots before this incident.
Personally (not a pilot!) I can imagine that if rotation is too slow you will lose some energy, no?
And also the Report shows the stick input during the incident ... with an unexplained reduction for about 2 seconds or less .. which cannot help, but the impact is not quantified exactly.