PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why Isn’t The VFRG Available For Download?
Old 11th Jul 2019, 08:44
Lead Balloon

Received 416 Likes on 207 Posts
I remember when an AL of AIP was issued as plastic pages, on the grounds that there would be so few changes to AIP in the future (from back then) that the content of each page would become permanent. Such optimism was quaintly amusing.

Doing the VFG properly, continuously, takes a lot of work by a lot of competent people, not least because of the chronic state of flux of and ever-growing volume of the rules. I doubt whether CASA’s finite resources can justifiably be diverted to that work and away from other priorities.

Most VFR accidents aren’t caused by a lack of knowledge of the rules. It’s mostly a lack of compliance with the rules, either through inexperience or poor judgment. I don’t see how having an electronic copy of the VFG available will help that much, but I’m happy to stand corrected. I suppose it’s possible that end of daylight calculations would be carried out more frequently and accurately if an up to date copy of the VFG was available for download, but I don’t understand why.