PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Apprentice Technician killed in Spicejet D8 gear doors
Old 11th Jul 2019, 06:38
Bend alot

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by westhawk
This has happened many times throughout the history of aviation maintenance. Some lessons are never guaranteed to be passed on to every maintenance team member it seems. What usually happens is that, with the hydraulics not pressurized, one mechanic pulls a door down and goes into the wheel well to perform some maintenance function. Now, another individual, who is unaware of the presence of the mechanic in the wheel well, pressurizes the hydraulic system that operates the gear doors with the intent of performing some other task. It's happened all over the world at every level of outfit too, from small low-budget operators to top-drawer flag carriers.

I don't know about the Q-400 in particular, but many transport type airplanes are equipped with gear door lockout valves, safety pin accommodation or other means designed specifically to prevent this very sort of accident. And many airlines have safety policies and training requirements regarding precautions to be taken before applying electrical or hydraulic power to any airplane under their care. It's tragic every time similar workplace accidents are repeated.

It was certainly taught where I went to tech school. And again at the large MRO I worked at. And again at each type-specific mx training course I attended. But this is not universal by any means. I've worked with a number of mechanics who did not disable the gear doors before entering the wheel wells. And a fair number who didn't check around the airplane before applying power.

Luckily, the worst result of this that I ever witnessed was flaps extending into a steel mx stand because someone had moved the flap selector while the aircraft was unpowered and a mechanic applying power did not notice it. Leaving a mx stand under the flap trailing edge unattended wasn't exactly best practice either. That one was only money. Lots of money in fact, but still less important than a life.
Does not help when apprentices are now a source of cheap labour and reluctantly trained and terminated at end of apprenticeship.

Years ago they were trained to be the companies proud future of trade excellence of high maintenance standards and knowledge.