PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - My dream - advice please (collective thread)
Old 9th Jul 2019, 17:47
ThyGreatRaymondinio

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Advice - Your typical plea!

Hi All,
I'm 18 years old, just finished my A-Levels and want to break into the world of Aviation and pursue my lifelong dream of becoming an Airline pilot.
I know there are a million other posts like this but I still have so many questions and would be so grateful if anyone can help at all!
I live in the UK and I'm aware of the whole Integrated VS Modular scenario.
I've seen L3 (they've changed name again to L3 Harris now?!) I've seen Oxford/CAE. Yes, they're great, but £100,000+ after everything? Seriously?
I've always been set on the whole integrated route, but the more I research and the more I talk to pilots, the more I'm swaying over to the modular route.
Financially, it is possible for me to get through the integrated route but it really would be a stretch (literally re-mortgaging the parent's home to get the funds together). This just seems ludicrous when I actually think about it, especially when the outcome of integrated and modular is the same.
Either way, I want to get cracking with this but I'm feeling like I'm stuck in a rut. I keep hearing stories of poor quality cadets being pushed through L3 and barely scraping through line training.
1) In terms of the modular route, upon completion of the ATPL qualification, can you begin the job hunting or is it necessary to have a type rating before making applications?
2) I know that no-one has a crystal ball but is it possible Brexit is going to through a spanner in the works in terms of recruitment in the next 3 years?
3) Is it true you really are "left all alone" after modular training, desperately trying to get an interview with all the jobs going to those integrated students? Is L3's "placement scheme" a load of baloney?
4) Is now the time to pursue any other interests e.g taking a year out to enjoy other hobbies etc. or is it still true airlines "love" the young pilots?
5) Do you know where I can find a clear 'road-map' of the Modular route layout, recommended schools, realistic pricing and timescale etc.?
6) Are there certain Airlines that particularly favour the integrated candidates, EZY pops straight in mind...
And generally just opinions and maybe even success stories of how modular/integrated has worked for you?
Any comments would be greatly appreciated,
Cheers!