PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas pilot academy - latest rejection
View Single Post
Old 5th Jul 2019, 20:40
SFX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi mate.

I did the career change thing and got my CPL full time @ age 37 15 or so years ago, went up north early the next year and was lucky enough to score a job flying bug smashers over some of the best country on the planet. Met a heap of great people along the way and had a ball. I came home at the end of the season intending to head back up the next but accidentally fell into a great paying job in my old industry and so after 2 years of living like a pauper that was the end of my flying career.

Including the training and what I wasn't earning for 2 years it probably cost me upwards of 250k but it was a fantastic life experience and would do it all again in a heart beat. That said I was single, no kids, had a reasonably recent redundancy payout which helped with the training costs and mostly owned a house which I rented out while away to pay the mortgage. Even so it was still pretty tough financially and will be very hard going in your personal circumstances. Your chances of landing a cadetship or academy slot at your age are very slim so based on your 60 hours in 2 years it will probably take you another 3 - 5 before you get your CPL and then a few more years building hours in very low paying GA before you land something half decent. The military suggestion above might be an option, you could be in and out with a few thousand hours under your belt by your mid/late 40's, flying nice equipment, no training costs and a decent salary and perks along the way....

Good luck with it what ever decision you make, cheers.