PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Edinburgh-3
Thread: Edinburgh-3
View Single Post
Old 4th Jul 2019, 10:14
Skipness One Foxtrot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Skipness One Foxtrot
The key problem with UNITED using a C30WY184 B763 to replace a C16WY153 B752 is that for a highly seasonal VFR market like Scotland, you're adding 20% more WY but a whopping 88% more seats in Business and Polaris Business at that. It's not like Air Canada Rouge where end of life B763s are being used to serve secondary markets, the UNITED B763 fleet is being refershed with their latest product for key business markets.

The B764 gives a 31.4% boost in seats in WY against the B752 whereas Business jumps by 144%, these are premium heavy birds.
Not quite sure how a UNITED 767 works in EDI?
The B767-300ER fleet is being refurbished and re-deployed into key business markets, whereas the B757 was until recently, a reliable work horse with the range and right size of capacity. By way of comparison, DUB gets a B757 to IAD and ORD but EWR gets a high density domestic configured B772 with a domestic First rather than Polaris, as does MAD.
In summer peak, I suspect that's the way forward in EDI, however if that's too much capacity for the Scottish market, and B757 availability becomes a growing issue, then there is a way to manage that, and that's by dropping GLA entirely. As the B757s are retired and redeployed, some of the less profitable flying will end and comparing GLA/EDI it's clear where the focus lies nowadays.
Now I am not just setting out to be contentious as GLA was my old local, but if UNITED are keen on EWR-Scotland that might be the best way given their fleet constraints cos the B767 just doesn't fit the market whereas those B777s are in the old tradition of the Scottish market of flying paid for wide bodies into leisure markets over the summer. I am thinking of Air Canada flying daily on YYZ-GLA and of course NWO flying daily B747s into PIK, it was always the -100s and not the shiney new 200s