PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas pilot academy - latest rejection
View Single Post
Old 4th Jul 2019, 08:44
thorn bird

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would say to Tempo, its a big wide aviation world out there. We live on this parochial rock, basically a pimple on the ass of the world down the bottom of the Pacific, we aint the real world, we like to think we are but we aint.

I know a guy who worked in GA in Australia and New Guinea for over twenty years, loved every minute of it, but being the right guy at the right time, as so often happens, an opportunity arrived and in his forties went to a foreign airline and finished up with a command on a wide body living the dream as they say. If you have the passion pursue your dream, forget about the naysayers.

An anecdote to match Fantomes. I guy I knew some years ago, had got through all a major airlines BS application process and was sitting in front of the final interview panel of crusty old captains. They were rather suss that he was a single guy in his mid thirties, they kept up the probing questions, never quite getting to the point, they thought he might be gay. Finally one of the old grey beards asked " We are interested to find out why you haven't taken a wife"...As in Fantomes case with the quick witted girl, he responded " Haven't found anyones wife I particularly want to take"!! No Laughs, just stunned silence! He recalls at that point he watched his airline career fly out the window. That guy went on to a fantastic career in the middle East and Europe and Asia, he's about to retire as a wide body C&T captain.

Tempo, Australia is the greatest place in the world in which to live, but that does not mean you can't make a good life elsewhere, even with your family in tow. My own kids grew up all over the world and are better for it, at the end of the day you'll come home and far better for it.

Embrace the world old mate.