PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Blue Islands
Thread: Blue Islands
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jul 2019, 17:31
guern123

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You may find the current changes, leasing of aircraft, new routes and new ground handling agents are probably due to the little known fact that Blue Islands are up for sale. Now yes every business has its price but Blue Islands have actually have a company / broker actively looking for buyer for the airline. This comes from a source who works for an airline on the mainland that was actually approached by the broker to see if they would be interested in buying BI. (I have searched the web but cannot find it listed so if anyone knows where to look please advise me) Several recent events have lead to this.They were / are in a franchise partnership with Flybe who as we all know have recently been sold – making this uncertain moving forward. You will notice the last 2 leased aircraft have been painted and delivered in white with Blue Islands engine covers rather than the Flybe colours.Guernsey recently removed their licensing system which means it now has an open skies policy meaning BI no longer have the monopoly on GCI-SOU or GCI-JER routes (Aurigny are now competing on both of these taking a lot the BI customers).The BI owner is not in good health and no-one appears to want to take over the reins with several high profile members of their team recently leaving their positions.To bolster their chances of being sold they have recently started their own ground handling at GCI and started several new routes including Liverpool, Newquay and Southend. This makes them look a bigger growing airline where as in fact they have no assets as all aircraft are leased and all routes are at best just breaking even.I’m guessing they are wet leasing from Stobart and Sprint air so they don’t have to sign long term lease agreements on aircraft as this would deter any potential purchaser.