PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 2nd North South Runway at Melbourne Airport
Old 3rd Jul 2019, 03:35
machtuk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Buster Hyman
Ahh, the old Drive in Theatre in Tullamarine. I could see that screen from the front of my house. Used to watch it with Binoculars!
hahaha I used to watch it from the back seat of my FC Holden, although missed most of the movies...lolol
Ahh the good old days. I worked out at Tulla started 1979 at the fuel depot (JUHI) back then there was always talk of a 3rd Rwy being built very soon, I guess soon wasn't anytime soon back then:-)

Side note: As most would know the drome was designed for the largest jets of the day B707 DC8 Etc so when the Jumbo Jets turned up not long after Tulla was opened it was chaos as the hydrants the gates etc needed extensive modification, I recall many a late night on the apron with crews modifying the Hydrant system that was only a few years old!:-)
Another side note (sorry): Being involved with much of the underground beneath Tulla I always laugh when I hear about a train station being already there for the future rail link to Tulla, trust me there are LOTS of hidden tunnels & locked steel doors down there, it's a rat infested rabbit warren where you could get lost & never be seen again!:-):-)
40 years latter I'm still waiting for that 3rd Rwy...………..will be another 40 years before we see it if ever!:-)