PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - My dream - advice please (collective thread)
Old 2nd Jul 2019, 13:02
Sea15

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ATPL career advice, job market

Hello everyone, my goal with this post is to hear your opinion about my plan, as most of you guys are already working in the aviation sector and got more life experience than me.
I'm currently 23 years old and soon to obtain my master's degree.

My dream has always been to become a pilot (like almost everyone's dream here on this forum) and I'm planning to go the modular way to get my ATPL.My biggest concern is the job market. I always keep an eye on the development of the job situation for pilots, but it really came to my eyes, that there are only a handful of airlines that offer jobs to "fresh out of school low hour pilots". As the job market is facing a slight downturn in the coming years (just my perception), it feels impossible to find a job in 2/3 years by the time I'll be done with my ATPL.

Is it just the fear that makes me think like this (impossibility finding a job) or will this never change and taking the risk is just a part of becoming a pilot?As I'm able to work in the US, I was thinking, if I shouldn't find a job after two years of having my ATPL, I would convert my license to FAA and try my luck there. Would cost me a bit but as the job market is in a better condition over there, the chances of getting a job are higher.

Is there any advice you guys could give me? Is the situation here in Europe really as hopeless as it looks on the first view?Thanks in advance !