PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Alcock and Brown
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jul 2019, 11:08
RetiredBA/BY

Received 45 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by dixi188
Went to the Science Museum in London on Saturday, (29 June)
Saw the Vickers Vimy that crossed the Atlantic 100 years ago. No special mention or any celebration at all. Just the normal small plaque with a few details.

Yesterday (30th June) I was in Hyde Park and the BoB Lancaster flew over three times. I think I was the only person to notice it was something special.
It was the sound I noticed before I saw it, I don't think anyone else looked up for more than a second.

Does nobody care about our aviation history any more?
Certainly not our Science Museum when it comes to aviation.

My direct experience of the “management “ there convinces me :
A. They are actually hostile to aviation.
B. They are clueless about aviation history, and the vital part which some aircraft in their “care” have played in the the Uk ( eg the Vimy, E28/39)
C. They are not fit people to be entrusted with these vital aspects of British Aviation history.
D. Certain individuals in their management are either crassly incompetent or downright dishonest. ( and I have documentary evidence from within the Science Museum itself, having used the FOI act to verify that statement ).
E. Their “management” of the treasure trove of stored aviation artefacts at Wroughton is a national disgrace. Compare with Brooklands , Bristol, Elvington, Newark, and the many other superb aviation museums around the UK, indeed the world and I have been to many.