PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Oil pressure too high
View Single Post
Old 1st Jul 2019, 16:51
Big Pistons Forever

Received 133 Likes on 60 Posts
I am not the slightest bit surprised to hear the airplane in question was flown a 100 hours with the oil pressure reading too high. One of the things I find rather discouraging is that there seems to be a significant problem with the culture in flying schools and clubs. It is IMO the toxic combination of pilots not making the effort to learn their airplane systems combined with a willingness to accept broken airplanes without complaint. Sadly it starts with instructors not doing their job

2 examples

1) A while ago I was asked to do a couple of flight instructor ratings for a local school. On the first flight in the C 150 I let the student do the takeoff and gets us to the practice area so we could start with learning how to teach Attitudes and Movements. On the way out I thought the student was doing a very good job of staying coordinated. When I took over I found out part of the problem, as soon as I let go of the controls the airplane turned sideways. In 30 years I had never seen an airplane so badly out of rig. When we got back to the school I asked the engineer what was up and she said in the year she had been there no one had ever complained . After she went through the airplane and adjusted all the control surfaces the airplane flew perfectly hands off

2) A different school and another C 150. I was asked to fill in for a sick instructor. We go out and the engine seems a bit rough on runup. The student apples full power and it is immediately obvious we are a good 100 RPM low on the required minimum static RPM so I take over reject the takeoff and taxi back. When I explain why we rejected he says "What's static RPM ? " . I snag the airplane and t turns out one cylinder has an exhaust valve that was probably only a few hours from total failure. As I am leaving the dispatcher says "Oh the instructors have been complaining that that airplane has been really doggy for weeks ! "

Bottom line learning your airplane systems is a choice.You can make the effort to really understands how things work so you know when things are not doing what they are supposed to do.....or not,and then make good decisions.

Last edited by Pilot DAR; 1st Jul 2019 at 16:55. Reason: typo