PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A109S Medevac Crash Brainerd Minnesota
View Single Post
Old 30th Jun 2019, 21:32
SASless

Received 498 Likes on 207 Posts
Shy,

Flexibility of thought as well as feet is a useful attribute in flying helicopters.

A casual reading of my posts should] surface adequate notice that the 60 Knot Speed I discussed was in conjunction with a "non-standard but quite legal ILS approach technique" that falls well within the capability of most auto-pilot equipped helicopters.

I would submit that if you fly a helicopter like a jet airliner then you deprive yourself of the unique aspects of the helicopter.

Where this particular 109 came to grief is not a busy airport....especially at the time of night it happened.

I have done ILS approaches at West Palm Beach in brand spanking new S-76's at speeds in excess of Boeing 727's....with ATC asking if they would speed up as there was overtaking traffic behind them......ask John Dixson about such happenings for verification.

I have also done them at the minimum speed as well.

At Malpensa International....I have even backed back up the ILS Approach in a Chinook on one occasion (not IMC but in solid Gin Clear conditions) ....but that is a yarn for another time.

You choose the speed that fits the occasion...considering traffic, weather, and technique that affords you the best chance of landing safely without having to resort to a missed approach.

In craggy weather I would rather transition from DH at a stately slow speed than streak down the runway trying to get stopped.

Why would you want to hit minimums at 120 KTS if you could do so at 60 KTS?

If you are going to do a Missed Approach at DH.....do you use Vbroc or your 120 Knot approach speed?