PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Oil pressure too high
View Single Post
Old 30th Jun 2019, 18:25
Hot 'n' High

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by PDR1
I guess what I'm saying is that you were hoodwinked into accepting a smart line of B/S as an excuse for what was actually a serious maintenance error - one that could easily have led to an in-flight engine failure and a need for a non-practice forced landing.

PDR
LOL! Let's not fall out over this PDR! Maybe, maybe not! He (the engineer) seemed genuine when I asked. But, yes, it could all have been all BS as you say. 20 years down the line, I can't be bothered to track him down and ask.

However it mattered not to me anyway as, after all (and this is what I'm saying), it was me who was the first person in 100+ hrs to put my foot down about flying it when 100+ hrs worth of others had flown it prior to me pitching up. I snagged it as soon as I saw it - copping some sig grief in the process from the owners - who then, it turned out, had lied to all those (and me) who had had the "its' been checked by maintenance and it's fine!" line trotted out to them! Even as an AV, I wasn't buying that old gag! They were very nice to me after that .... but I moved on anyway shortly after that!

The Engineer who "hoodwinked me"(? so what if he did on the details - I never flew it in that state so it would never have killed me - only, maybe, those who flew it with the high oil pressure indication - but why did they all take it when it was out of limits?) also apologised that it had been released in that condition so he held his hand up to errors on his side and he was most displeased it had ever left his organisation. He seemed genuine - and I took what he said at face value. He also could not believe that no-one else had reported it in over 100+ hrs given the fix (whatever it was ... and I'm going to avoid any mention of "shims" from now on!!!!!) was complete in less than 1 hour. That made him annoyed too! Aviation is, after all, looking out for ourselves and others so if it was really dangerous, many, many people had ignored the chance to get something possibly serious fixed!

I don't disagree that I may have been fed a line and that maybe it was more serious than I was led to believe - immaterial to me at the end of the day. As I say, I refused to fly it and only asked a simple question and took the answer at face value when it returned. That is what I repeated earlier. But the aircraft was now "S"! If it was the case that something "really unsafe" had happened, that should have been a frank 1-to-1 twixt owners and maintenance. The likelyhood of that happening? Mmmm! One hopes lesson were learned on both sides. Hence, back to poor old CFO's dilemma. My point is, "If it's wrong, don't fly it!".

Don't wish to fall out PDR as you seem someone of "sound reason" on here! I'll let others go into the "It may be this" or "It may be that"! Off to water the garden now the sun is going down as the Boss is away for a couple of nights and her "pride and joy" has been entrusted to my not-so-green fingers. Apparently, if any plants at all die in the next 48 hrs I will be held entirely responsible and shall die a slow lingering death! Mrs H 'n' H is not to be messed with when it comes to "her garden"!

Cheers, H 'n' H