PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bomb fuse or Enigma Machine: London patent
Old 30th Jun 2019, 17:06
Genghis the Engineer

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts
Bomb fuse or Enigma Machine: London patent

Somewhere in the dim and distant past I recall reading that at a point in London Blitz, UXB teams were struggling and losing lives to a new German bomb fuse mechanism that they could not understand, and thus could not work out how to defuse. My recollection of what I read was that a bright young engineer officer went to the London patent office and searched for helpful German patents filed before the war, came across details of the mechanism, and was subsequently able to use that to work out how to defuse these bombs.

I'd like to use the story in some material I'm putting together about the patent system, but can't seem to find the story anywhere (I did find something about enigma machine mechanisms also having been patented in the late 1920s in London by Chiffriermaschinen Aktiengesellschaft, but not much on that either).

Does anybody know the details of the stories - anything about names, dates, the specific mechanisms, in a perfect world any published books or articles I can reference?

Cheers if anybody can help,

G