PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MAX’s Return Delayed by FAA Reevaluation of 737 Safety Procedures
Old 29th Jun 2019, 09:58
BDAttitude

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fergusd
Yup, but you're correct that it's not just financial, a large part of this is lack of availability of suitably qualified software engineers . . . many people 'think' they can 'write code', very, very few can actually do it (in actuality) and even fewer work in environments which can create the required quality repeatably . . . so you cannot just go out and buy a high quality capable team, at all . . . the bean counters 'think' that 'anybody' can do software and so why pay more than 1/10th of that which is actually necessary . . . and boom . . .
And those who do have the ability to code head for other ventures because they are generally intelligent knowledgeable and studious people and can't be bothered with this sort of competition and obnoxious working environment.
Similar things happen with professional airmen I guess.
In fact I was having two Starfighter jockeys as supervisors during my career. I'm sure they would head to different industries and businesses today after leaving the air force.