PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - I had no idea V1s were air launched.
View Single Post
Old 26th Jun 2019, 11:45
WHBM

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Blossy
17,981 (mostly civilians) were injured and 6,181 killed .... No less than 1,402 V2 rockets were launched against the UK. There was no defence possible against these.
The damage caused by both these weapons was staggering. 107,000 homes destroyed and over 1.5 million damaged.
When doing the tour of NASA at Cape Canaveral a few years ago, the tour guide was just a bit too complimentary for my liking about Werner von Braun, who devised both the V1 and V2, and was subsequently signed up by the US rocket/space/NASA programmes, and worked at The Cape. Not just him but various German former colleagues as well (apparently they all conversed among one another in staccato German during Cape launches). So I asked him in front of everyone else how the US would have felt if Osama Bin Laden and his team had been welcomed to Britain and given a substantial and well paid government job. Americans in the group then asked about the detail of the events.

I think they were a bit shocked. Guide moved us on quickly back into the bus and kept well clear of me for the rest of the trip. I wonder if it had been raised there before. Incidentally, the whole trip there highly recommended.

How did Von Braun escape the Nuremberg Trials ?

Last edited by WHBM; 26th Jun 2019 at 11:57.