PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Cadets grounded?
View Single Post
Old 25th Jun 2019, 12:49
lightbluefootprint

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pegpilot
But it's not just the Air Cadets infected by this risk paralysis. My gliding club has just been approached by a local school to offer them some glider flights on an activity day. Happy to help, except I now have to jump through the hoop of a 4-page questionnaire with 32 questions covering such diverse topics as
Do we have a Learning Outside the Classroom Quality Badge, GDPR Compliance statement, Waiver policy, Insurance, H&S Policy, Vehicles, Staffing policies, Accommodation, Sub-Contracting, Adventure Activities Licence, Staff Recruitment and Training Policy.....
Well I could go on. Just imagine the questionnaire author's face turning ashen if I sought to describe a winch launch and its inherent risks on the questionnaire.
I was sorely tempted to reply "You know what, we really can't be ar*ed", were it not for the fact that I'm a flying evangelist and would like some of these kids to have the same opportunities extended to me 40 years ago.
Hey ho !
A certain former Group Captain who may or may not have been the topic of discussion elsewhere in this thread once demanded that a caving group we were sending cadets to identify the precise staff and their qualifications that would supervise the cadets on the day FOUR MONTHS IN ADVANCE! A list of all of the centre's instructors was unacceptable and for a long time the activity was in jeopardy. For some reason he relented eventually - and as memory serves with a common sense compromise that we suggested - but again I had made myself into a thorn in his side.