PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Snoozing pilot misses landing - The Australian
Old 25th Jun 2019, 10:57
Okihara

Location: Currently: A landlocked country with high terrain, otherwise Melbourne, Australia + Washington D.C.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Again, same thing. Poor fellow, made a mistake and getting hammered for it when nobody got harmed. I don't understand what it is that we're after here. As of 2019 it should be a well documented fact that humans are prone to make mistakes, esp. when fatigued. Another well documented fact in modern times is that humans are known to not always make rational decisions, a trait magnified by fatigue, alcohol, drugs, emotional stress, or any combination of those in any amount.

However it is not as well documented and understood a fact, in my view, that specific individuals of said species will always receive disproportionately much media attention when making silly mistakes such as the above at the command of an aircraft as opposed to, say, when driving a car, making important business decisions, choosing their life partner, surfing in shark infested waters or electing the ruling party in this country.

Seriously: why is that? Let's cut that pilot some slack. I'm sure the fact that they woke up alive at all served enough as a lesson.