PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How Do We Address Helicopter Noise Complaints?
Old 24th Jun 2019, 15:32
Flying Bull

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, I had to use a VPN-Tunnel to read the articel in Europe.....
If someone focuses on a specific sound - he will hear it before everbody else and gets anoyed.
I was lucky enough to be raised when frequent low flying jets were roaring through the skys.
When the sound started, my mum said, look, where is it coming (which at the end lead to a career in aviation)
If she would have covered my ears with her body over me, I might have developed a fear instead.
The industry canīt avoid to overfly people, who live near to airfields.
Instead of avoiding single spots, where they live - and concentrate the noise to other places, people which are complaining should be invited to visit the airfield, get an throughout explaniation, what makes the sound - and a helicopter which makes sound is unlikley to crash on their house - different to the ones, which stop making loud noises in the air ;-)
Second, when ever possible, we can also fly with a low noise signature (that is high)
Its easy for us to decend with 2.000 feet per minute just short of the field - and it is also easy, to climb with Vtoss at the beginning, reaching 1.000 and more feet within the airfield parameters.
(Adds safety as well, if things go wrong, you have more height to play with)
Just fly a little more on the left side of unshaded area of the dead mans curve and not so far at the right side ;-)