PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Southend-2
Thread: Southend-2
View Single Post
Old 24th Jun 2019, 04:34
asdf1234

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Buster the Bear
Must have dispensation , as a licenced runway needs 75m from runway centreline to a holding point. 49m is ridiculously close and the runway is narrower than a standard. A runway excursion could end up with an impact with that wall. When you look at it on Google Earth, I am surprised the CAA permit commercial movements. As for the spire in poor weather.......! If I applied to build a wall 49m from the runway at Luton, I know what the answer would be (ignoring who owns the land).
Mention is made in the AIP for SEN that operators acknowledge the risk posed by the proximity of the church.

4 5 WARNINGS a) It is a condition of operating at the airport that the operator accepts that St. Laurence Church and graveyard are permanent obstacles within the runway instrument strip and that they take account of them to the extent necessary to ensure a safe operation. Operators must refer to the airport conditions of use, and the pilots briefing pack on the LSACL website. Church roof is at 78 ft amsl at 94 m from runway centre-line, spire at 114 ft amsl, 105 m from runway centre-line at approximately 200 m north-east of Runway 05 threshold, lit with a single red obstacle light. Frangible fence around Church graveyard up to 9 ft agl (56 ft amsl), at closest 49 m from Runway centre-line. Operators should refer to obstacle data at AD 2.10 and charts at AD 2.24