PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Plane crash video - Not like others I have seen!
Old 22nd Jun 2019, 06:36
PDR1

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts
Why would the crosswind have caused intake blanketing? The aeroplane clearly didn't have crossed controls at the time of the flame-out (look at the string slip-indicator) and, as one would hope we all know, a cross wind wouldn't change the direction of the airflow over the aeroplane in the air except as a (very) brief transient gust response. If the engines are too fragile to take that brief gust then the aeroplane would be a death trap anyway, because it wouldn't be able to survive even mild turbulence.

Reading the interweb I'm let to believe that the engines were Czech PBS TJ-40 turbojets - simple turbines based on scaled-up model aeroplane concepts intended for UAV applications. These engines have centrifugal compressors and so are pretty "robust" when it comes to airflow. They don't suffer compressor stall /surge symptoms to anything like the same extent as axial-flow compressors, and need pretty huge airflow changes to upset them. There had been a history of issues with one of the engines (even seen on the videos on the day of the flight) and my personal view is that this blarney about crosswinds may be trying to stop people looking too closely at whether the aeroplane was fit for flight with a troublesome engine.

£0.00007 supplied,

PDR