PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CASA ATPL test questions
View Single Post
Old 21st Jun 2019, 10:04
TSRABECOMING

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you. About Flight planning, what will normally ask or test. All fuel calculation??

Originally Posted by Mach E Avelli
It does seem to depend on the examiner. My approach is to allow the candidate any reference material that would normally be available at flight planning or in the cockpit. With EFBs and iPADs etc now used by almost all pilots, I see no reason to commit endless rules and regulations to memory, particularly as they are always subject to change. It is better to look up the correct answer than to only get it half right and risk CASA's wrath.
For example, I may ask a question about duty time limits or alternate requirements and see how long it takes for the candidate to source the correct answer. If they fumble around because they don't even know which document to look up, it soon becomes apparent that they have not put in any study.
Trying to keep it practical, I quiz knowledge of important basics that, in the real world, you would not have time to refer to a source - like being able to decipher a synoptic chart, when can you go below MSA, what are all the elements of a stabilised approach etc.
Knowing the correct systems operation, main limitations and emergency memory actions of the aircraft being used for the test is essential. Any deficiency here means the flight test will not proceed.
Once you know who will be your examiner, ask around for what he/she wants. I know, I know - we should all be standardized. Blame that on CASA who don't know how to standardize their own people, let alone those of us on the outside of the tent.