PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter/C172 interactions
View Single Post
Old 20th Jun 2019, 21:44
aa777888

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am guessing that this happened in the UK and not the US. I can only offer the US perspective.

This could have been a failure on the part of ATC, the helicopter pilot, or both. If you were cleared to taxi as directed, that helicopter should NOT have been hover (5-10 ft) or air (higher than that) taxiing across your line of travel. Period. Dot.

Possible ATC failure: one or both of you were cleared to taxi improperly.

Possible helicopter pilot failure: he was cleared but did not act expeditiously, or he was not cleared to taxi as he did.

The only way to know is to query the ATC staff and find out what happened.

Regardless, you did some heads-up piloting and avoided any potential for disaster. You did the right thing.

Finally, it is worth noting that at helicopter-savvy airports it is not unusual for a helicopter to stay with the tower rather than switch to ground. This can be disconcerting to airplane pilots when they see a helicopter maneuvering around the airport but can't hear them on ground. This is a reasonable courtesy to the helicopter pilot who generally does not want to take his hands off of any control to change frequencies when in close proximity to the ground. While there are hardware and methods to do this, a single pilot without radio buttons on his cyclic or collective controls, or who has not programmed his radios for such controls, may plead "unable" to the tower when asked to switch to ground. The tower can insist, in which case the correct response is to set down, make the changes, and continue. But that rarely happens or is necessary (although it has happened to me!)