PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - German pilot killed in Polish air show
View Single Post
Old 19th Jun 2019, 02:17
dash34

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Fly Aiprt
Thank you for responding.
I’d say you're confirming my point : when it comes to spins, strongly opiniated discussions tend to arise ;-)

We agree that concerning the spin mishap, the unfortunate pilot’s actions on the controls are not consistent with what we believe should have been done.
I suppose we’ll also agree that in competition and practice we rarely deal with fully developed spins, and the technique we use is not always the same as what could be advised for fully developed/inadvertent spins.

I’ll just say that although you are a far more successful competitor than I was, I’m an instructor not totally ignorant of things aerobatic.
The coaches that taught me advanced aerobatics were former unlimited world champions, and two of my co-owner buddies with whom we taught ourselves unlimited aerobatics eventually became world champions.
We never had any argument as to how to perform this or that, we thoroughly gathered information and analysed the aerodynamics of any manoeuvre before trying them.
We found that to stop a developed spin one has first to stop the rotation, and an "unblanked" rudder may help.

I’m not trying to convince anyone, just conveying what experience and aerodynamics taught me.

The rule I’ll never break on the internet is, never enter or dwell in, “experts arguments”.
So I’ll leave it here, we are both entitled to what our experience taught us, if we differ, then so be it.

Thanks again for offering your opinion, albeit vehemently expressed ;-)

BTW you’ll have no problem identifying the picture below – maybe you met the author – and discussing its merits or inaccuracies.

Best regards

I have been taught to keep the stick back, apply full opposite rudder, then ease the stick forward to recover. If the aircraft doesn't recover, start again with the stick fully back and repeat.