PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin recruiting soon...
View Single Post
Old 19th Jun 2019, 00:54
pudoc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Heisenb3rg
Question for anyone flying long haul: compared to short haul (with 2 sectors per day and the average sector being. about 2hrs), does it not get incredibly boring spending the majority of your career in the cruise? What do you do for all that time? Or does the fact you do it only a couple of times per week rather than 5 days in a row make it more enjoyable?
Believe it or not, I used to find 2 hour sectors just about bearable, and 4 hour sectors horrendously boring, going through 3 or 4 different newspapers. However, on 10+ hours sector I feel like I don't even have time to pick up the paper. Maybe it has something to do with fact I come into work less. A bit of time in the bunk helps. But as mentioned above, when you fly over remote places you have to be a little bit more on top of weather/notams/suitable airfields/terrain, unlike short haul around the states/Europe where you have plenty of choices of straight forward airports with predictable weather. There's just a little bit more to think about.

Long haul is a completely different job to short haul. And in my opinion, a much better job. Not all trips are sociable, so make sure you enjoy your own company.