PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vanguard G-APEP arrival at Brooklands
View Single Post
Old 18th Jun 2019, 21:05
sixchannel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jhieminga
I didn't have the time to look up the exact date yesterday. It was delivered to Brooklands on 17 October 1996, if my memory isn't playing tricks on me it flew from East Midlands airport to Brooklands. There used to be a website about 'EP but it has been offline for a while now. Here is a capture of the site from 2013 courtesy of the Wayback Machine: https://web.archive.org/web/20130718...rchantman.com/

The story is a bit different for the Viscount, it is believed that the last airworthy Viscount, 9Q-COD, last flew in January 2009 for Global Airways in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (according to Wikipedia). There is an excellent site about the type here: A Virtual Museum dedicated to the Vickers-Armstrongs ViscountFurther details are not available unfortunately. As the most succesful of the Vickers turboprops, the Viscount's history deserved a more dignified ending if you ask me.
Interesting archive and I had to smile at the lovely doubleTypo that indicates that some aircraft were built between 1662 and 1664.
That predates the Wright brothers a tad. 😁