PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airspace Infringments
View Single Post
Old 18th Jun 2019, 20:55
Fuji Abound

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hope there is no mystery.

In late 2017 the CAA developed a course with GASCo, the cost of which the CAA funded. GASCo is a registered charity.

GASCo received about £42K from these courses in 2018 at £200 per person per course. This would suggest somewhere over 200 pilots attended the course. Around a 1,000 pilots infringe a year. Of those infringments a percentage are ATZs, danger areas etc, and a percentage do not involve GA (military etc). We can make a reasonable guestimate of the number of pilots attending the course as a result of infringing 'NATS airspace" for example. Maybe its somewhere around half of the remainder.

If you infringe it is fair to say a probable consequence is course attendance, rather like a speed awareness course. It is said that when you add up the costs of a stay in a hotel, a loss of a days earnings or a days holiday etc the cost of the course is perhaps £500 or more, so it is also a significant financial penalty.

There have been some requests under Freedom of Information for data to enable the impact of these courses to be assessed. The data has not been forthcoming because it is said the data would reveal information that could be considered personal.

That is a brief summary of the issue. There are many facets of which I wasnt aware, and I suspect, but maybe entirely wrong, that may be true of others.

It also seems appropriate there is a wider discussion whether this is the "right" approach and it is being administred in the "right" way. Inevitably there are views on both sides of the divide.