PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - German pilot killed in Polish air show
View Single Post
Old 17th Jun 2019, 23:57
wonkazoo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Fly Aiprt
And the "stick forward" is not so good an idea.

Of course I'll not suggest you try if you don't feel confident, but yes the technique works.

The following document might be of interest and is in accordance with Eric Müller's "Flight unlimited" chapter on spins.
http://www.sv4.com/Docs/Spins%20in%2...%20special.PDF
As an experienced aerobatics pilot, you know spins are an infinite discussion subject among pilots, even those who never do spins^^!
Fly Aiprt- you are disseminating false information that if used could get someone killed. Spins are not either a mystery or an infinite topic. In actual fact deep knowledge and understanding is mandatory for any pilot performing gyroscopic or other hi-energy maneuvers that usually end in one form of autorotation or another. If they are mysterious or "infinite" to someone then that person should carefully consider performing aerobatics without a qualified instructor onboard.

From the document you cite: "Shoving the right rudder pedal to the firewall, I followed with full nose down elevator. After one additional turn, which seemed like an eternity, the aircraft pitched nose down and stopped spinning."
"At the time I mistakenly believed, like so many others, that the most important thing in spin recovery was nose down elevator to break the stall. I did not understand the importance of first applying full opposite rudder... When I tried to recover from the spin described above, I failed to apply full opposite rudder before pushing the stick forward. When I applied full nose down elevator, I accelerated the rotation."

Beggs Muller was basically the first thing we taught student aerobats when introducing them to unusual attitudes and aerobatics. What you describe- full aft stick for an upright spin recovery is simply bananas. Anything further back than a hands-off neutral is going to potentially keep the aircraft in an autorotational state. As I said- you might have enough rudder authority in the Pitts or other custom biplanes to pull it off, but my rather deep experience base indicates that if you try a spin recovery in an S2B with the stick back, and you insist on keeping it there, you will be doing so until you hit the ground. Indeed Beggs goes on in your document to show that "stick back" is the correct technique for an inverted spin... Again quoting the document: "...it could only mean I had entered an inverted right rudder spin. If this were the case the proper recovery would be to apply full left rudder and pull the stick back!"

Beggs goes on to say as he lists reasons that his peers may have died in a spin "maybe they failed to release backpressure, reversing the spin with rudder..."

NOWHERE IN BEGG'S WORK DOES HE EVEN HINT AT AN AFT STICK SPIN RECOVERY FOR ANYTHING OTHER THAN AN INVERTED SPIN. Nor would he because as I said above- it's bananas and a sure way to screw you and your airplane into the ground. If you have somehow done this in a B then good for you, but I would not make a habit out of it as such a technique will kill the operator sooner or later.

Because I want these words to resonate I am going to break my rule about blowing my own horn. In 1996 I was the California Unlimited Aerobatic Championship Points Series Runner-up. I have performed at countless airshows and while it has been 20+ years I have won countless IAC competitions at the unlimited level. Among others Vicki Cruze was one of my students and I mentored her though her intermediate and advance days in the Eagle. Thus I am not some guy who likes to go out and do hammerheads in my 7AC for entertainment, and if you choose to ignore my advice here that's fine with me, but if you do please don't say I didn't try!!.

Warm regards,
dce