PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PHOENIX "rescue" No thanks!
View Single Post
Old 12th Jun 2019, 19:20
GrayHorizonsHeli

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by [email protected]
but you feel content to criticise my reading comprehension - just consider the force required to make a stretcher spin like that in the video and then the counter force required to restrict that - you are content that won't have any effect on the cable windings despite having no idea of the actual forces involved - genius!

Perhaps if it was such a simple solution as you suggest, someone might have already invented it - stretchers have been spinning for many years under helicopters and you are the only one to come up with the solution - all hail!

I suppose I can flip your comments right back at you because you offer nothing as well.

I'll try my best to continue to speak my point, totally accepting you'll jump onto my back and pummel me with the idiot comments. I have thick skin and am not deterred.

The spinning force starts off at a low value. you can comprehend that right? as soon as the stretcher lifts and the tag line is lost for whatever reason, the rotor wash imparts its forces and voila, stretcher starts to turn. basic physics. Its not immediately going at 300rpm and 5g's force right? takes more force to get them spinning, but once they are spinning, the forces tend to take over and you'll spin easier and faster, and faster yet. this lady experienced that acceleration and we watched in horror.
If you still dont follow me, go back to when you were 12 oiling your bike chain upside down in the driveway. dad on the porch swilling beers cuz the old lady is nagging at him. pedal a bike wheel in top gear at first and you see what forces i mean. Hard to turn at first, but gets easier as the wheel increases speed. and much easier to stop at the beginning. just grab it with your hand. PSA: dont stick your fingers in the spokes once it gets going though. try a stick.
hard to stop a wildly spinning stretcher once they get going too just like that ol' bike wheel. For sure the wire cable will bird cage if you allow the rotation to get to that point. just like you'll strip out bike spokes if you wait to long to put that stick in there.

what if you counteract that force early enough? no indication I want to stop it completely, only a desire to keep it under resistance to keep it from increasing at a high rate without hitting the value to damage the wire. Thats exactly what a tag line does. its simple and effective, but thats all if its lost. A resistive swivel would be a very good secondary tool to back you up if the tag line failed, but you're still going to have that secondary plan. the time you gain keeping that basket slow and getting the stretcher back on the ground might prevent further injury.
and if you do birdcage a wire, few grand to replace a cable is a cheap cost VS potentially allowing big injuries by spinning wildly out of control.
Perhaps though, someone has tested this. perhaps not. I'll gladly eat a hat if someone can offer this has been looked at. You however will likely just continue you're bullying ways because thats what you do on here. Have a nice day.