PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MAX’s Return Delayed by FAA Reevaluation of 737 Safety Procedures
Old 11th Jun 2019, 17:50
bill fly

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Smythe
You dont NEED it to fly the aircraft, if you have experience. Everyone talks about feeling the pressure and trim. Is that even trained in the sim anymore? look at the troubles many have setting trim in the first place.

My point was that I dont see, with the experience level of many pilots today, them being able to keep the ac in trim enroute without the AP. That is my opinion.

Make more sense now?
Hi Smythe,
You learn to trim from the first time you fly. You trim all aeroplanes of all sizes and speeds. It is basic to manual flying. You trim by feel, because the idea of trimming is to have a neutral feel at all times, so you trim out the load.
However... Fly by wire aircraft and earlier CWS - so called Control Wheel Steering (DC-10 type which operates through the AP) don’t require pilot trim input. There is no load for the pilot to trim out. That means that pilots have literally to make efforts not to want to trim when new on type and have to relearn when flying a traditional type - or CWS is off.
The 737 is not in the above category. In manual flight you trim instinctively as soon as there is any pitch load - except in a turn, when the load is expected.
Does that make more sense now?
Back to subject, hopefully.