PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Transponder altimetry
View Single Post
Old 11th Jun 2019, 05:48
Stampe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dai Whirlybird
Yep I understand that - wasn't aware of the +/- 200ft. Thanks.
Dai your txpdr output should indeed have a +/- 200 foot tolerance applied to it.Unfortunately current CAA/NATS policy is only to to give that tolerance to verified squawks.Those wearing conspicuity squawks do not get the tolerance.Problems are occurring where transiting under airspace veils the over reading txpdr has triggered CAIT (controlled airspace infringement tool).A lot of the froth about infringements is being generated by this problem.I liken it to getting a speeding ticket for for doing 29 in a 30 zone.Unforunately the simple sums involved seem beyond current regulators.My information comes from current ATCOs who are also practising Commercial Pilots they cannot believe the problems being created.Effectively yet more of our class G airspace has been stolen.My advice at present is to plan to fly at least 400 feet vertically below controlled airspace if squawking an unverified code to allow for transponder tolerance and the inevitable turbulence etc.Hopefully AOPA seem to be finally waking up to what is going on in the real world .Regards Stampe

Last edited by Stampe; 11th Jun 2019 at 05:52. Reason: error